Swamped with your writing assignments? Take the weight off your shoulder!
Hello. The questions need to be answered in APA format. Quoted, summarized, and paraphrased content cannot stand alone – all sourced information must be accompanied by at least 3-4 lines of self-written, original text, explaining each line of quoted content. Quoted, summarized, or paraphrased material, derived from a source needs to be cited/referenced both in-text and as a reference at the end of the response. Thank you!
1) Define “exigence” using your own words. Provide an example.
2) How do we identify logos in a text? And, what purpose do they serve in an argument?
3) Why is it important for an author to identify their purpose and audience before they begin writing?
4) Explain how the cogency or validity of an argument differs from the soundness of an argument.
5) Identify the logical fallacy committed by the argument below and explain why this argument fits this type of fallacy.
– “Studies have shown that groups of rats that are placed in confined spaces tend to act more aggressively towards each other. Thus, crime is caused by urban overcrowding.”
6) Determine whether or not the argument below commits a fallacy, and explain your reasoning for drawing this conclusion. Assume that the premises are true.
– “The most recent National Census shows that Latinos are the fastest-growing ethnic group, representing the largest minority in the country. Therefore, Latinos are the fastest-growing ethnic group, representing the largest minority in the country.”
7) Explain how the purpose of a debate is similar to the purpose of advertising, and describe how they both differ from argument.
8) Evaluate the argument below.
– “It is impossible to prove definitively whether or not God exists, so it is pointless to claim that God exists.”
9) Imagine a college student running for the position of Student Association President. This student’s platform centers around making the administration more responsive to the challenges and needs of minority students. Explain what this candidate must do to persuade voters, and describe some of the rhetorical strategies he/she might employ to run a successful campaign.
10) How does Bitzer explain exigence, audience, and constraints, and how do you incorporate these concepts into your own writing or into your interactions with co-workers, family, or friends? What are the specific rhetorical situations that you encountered recently and that you could have understood and explained more easily had you applied Bitzer’s concept to those situations?
References (more are attached):