Swamped with your writing assignments? Take the weight off your shoulder!
Share your summary and thoughts about how your current event addresses stigma by writing about the points listed below:
1. Please use an article that is published within the last 6 months.
2. The article must be from a reliable news source (while I understand this is relative, please do not use pop
culture magazines such as “Us” for your source. See the above “New Sources” for places to search for
3. Include a link to the article and cite the source written in APA format (Use Purdue OWL online as a source if
you need to). Be sure to cite your source in the discussion.
4. Put your name and the name of your article at the beginning of your discussion for ease of reference by
5. Your original discussion must be a minimum of 1000 words (no more than 1300), and your response to one
(1) other student will be 300 words. The 1000 words can include the entire post (your name, name of the
article, citation of the source, in addition to the QUESTIONS TO ANSWER below (#6). Note: you will be graded
on grammar, usage, spelling, and punctuation.
6. Include quotes from the article in this discussion.
7. Source for the Harro and Young readings on the Five Faces of Oppression, The Cycle of Socialization and
The Cycle of Liberation: Readings for Diversity and Social Justice, 2nd ed. 2010. Adams, Maurianne;
Blumenfeld, Warren; Castañeda, Carmelita Rosie; Hackman, Heather W.; Peters, Madeline L.; Zúñiga, Ximena.
8. QUESTIONS TO ANSWER: In your post, please use the following format, and use the bold words below as
headings. Answer the questions for these six (6) categories.
a. Summarize the article. Give a brief statement of the main points of this current event.
b. Experience of Stigma: Identify how stigma is experienced by the people in this group or with this topic
as described in the current event. How has this group been negatively portrayed or labeled in society?
c. Regarding the Five Faces of Oppression (Young, 2013): How is this group experiencing oppression –
through exploitation, marginalization, powerlessness, cultural imperialism, and/or violence? Does the
author fairly represent the conditions that have caused the group to become marginalized or
d. Regarding the Cycle of Socialization (Harro, 2013a): How has the cycle of socialization affected this
group? What cultural messages have been said about them? How have they continued to be punished
by society? Are there any misconceptions about this group discussed in the current event?
Page | 13
e. Regarding the Cycle of Liberation (Harro, 2013a): How has the article raised awareness about this
group? Is this group calling out any injustices that they are experiencing? Are coalitions being formed
to assist this group? Is this group coalescing and taking action to change negative perceptions in
society and change culture?
f. Reflection: Reflect on your own thoughts, feelings, and reactions to this article and information. You
may use first person (I) when writing about your reflections. Indicate how this fits into your
understanding of stigma. How has your socialization affected the way you see this group or topic?
How are you participating in the cycle of liberation with this group or topic